The Business Data Catalog Definition Editor tool (or “BDC tool”) is now available in the latest (August 2007) version of the downloadable MOSS 2007 SDK, which was just posted at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6d94e307-67d9-41ac-b2d6-0074d6286fa9&displaylang=en.
The Business Data Catalog Definition Editor provides a visual tool for creating an Application Definition for BDC in MOSS 2007. Features include:
- Underlying XML is abstracted by the design surface and properties window
- Drag and drop web methods, tables, or views to create line of business (LOB) connections.
- Entities and methods are created automatically from database metadata and WSDLs.
- Additional method instances can be added to further enhance the database or web service connection.
- Method instances can be tested from within the tool, enabling incremental development of LOB connections