Most modern websites and web applications require some form of user authentication in order to “unlock” their entire feature set. Social networking sites and message boards are perfect examples: you are asked to register before making your first contribution.
In DotNetNuke, a valid user profile forms the basis for the role-based permission model.
It starts with the [USER] or <dnn:User runat=”server” id=”dnnUser” /> skin object deceleration, which generates a “Register” link for unauthentic users to the registration form. The procedure of collecting user profiles is implemented via Private, Public, or Verified user registration types. The only real difference between the 3 of them is the degree of human intervention in the authorization process:
- Private – ensures that the DNN Admin manually screens all website registrations and grants or denies portal access accordingly.
- Public – there is no manual intervention or screening whatsoever, meaning the user is granted access to the portal environment immediately after registration.
- Verified – located somewhere in between Private and Public, DNN emails a verification code to the registering user to “verify” her / his identity. The user then has to take the code back to the website to complete the registration process.
The following is a walkthrough of configuring and customizing Private DNN registrations. However, with slight modifications, it’s just as applicable to Public and Verified registration.
Enable Private Registration
- log in with either DNN Admin or Host (SuperUser) privileges
- navigate to Admin > Site Settings > Advanced Settings > Security Settings >User Registration and tick Private
Customize Notification Emails & Register Page
- navigate to Admin > Languages > Language Editor in DNN 4 and Host > Languages > Edit Default Language > Edit Language Files in DNN 5
- use your browser (Ctrl+F) to search GlobalResources.resx for email_user_registration_administrator_body.text and email_user_registration_administrator_subject.text to customize the notification email that gets send to the DNN Administrator
- use your browser (Ctrl+F) to search GlobalResources.resx for email_user_registration_private_body.text and email_user_registration_private_subject.text to customize the notification email that gets send to the registering user
- use your browser (Ctrl+F) to search SharedResources.resx for PrivateMembership.Text to customize the default copy of the registration control / page
- DNN Admin (or any other user with the proper permissions in DNN 5): navigate to Admin > User Accounts to authorize portal access and to manage security role membership
Manage Profile Properties and User Settings
- by default, the DNN registration form asks for User Name, First Name, Last Name, Display Name, Email Address, and Password
- to edit the default fields or to collect additional information during registration, navigate to Admin > User Accounts > Manage Profile Properties
- to manage general user settings such as min password length, password aging, redirect after login, redirect after logout, captcha, etc, navigate to Admin > User Accounts > User Settings