When you click on the edit dropdown on a Web Part you are presented with a few options including Close and Delete. It seems that most users are scared by what would happen if they delete the web part, so they close it. It doesn’t show on the page so it must be gone!
- Place the page into edit mode
- Click Add a Web Part at the top of a Web Part Zone
- In the lower right hand corner of Add Web Parts window, click on Advanced Web Part Gallery and options.
- In the top section of the Advanced Web Part Gallery, there is a link called Closed Web Parts. Click on this to display all of your closed Web Parts.
- To add them back to the page simply drag them back onto the page in your favorite Web Part Zone.
I can’t really think of many good situations where it is a good idea to close Web Parts on the page. If you want to save them, it is better to export them and save them off. They can always be added back later if needed. The best plan is that if you don’t want a Web Part to show on the page – delete it! If it is a pain to set up and you want to make sure you don’t have to go through a bunch of trouble next time then export it and save it off.