Therefore, to hide ECB menu items, you must create a customcore.js file, modify this file to hide menu items, and then render the customcore.js file through a custom master page. Note that the out-of-the-box core.js file must remain in the custom master page; for that reason, your customcore.js file should have an attribute “Defer” with the value true.
The following steps allow you to create a customcore.js file and render it through the custom master page.
Hiding ECB menu items
- Copy the core.js file from its default location at %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033, place it in the same folder, and rename as customcore.js file.
- Make the necessary changes in the customcore.js file by removing unwanted ECB menu items.
- To create the custom master page, make a copy of the default.master page and rename it as custom.master.
- In the custom master page, add the following line to render the customcore.js file:
- Save the custom.master page and upload it to the master pages gallery of the site. Then apply the custom.master page as the default master page for the site.