Reporting Services LogViewer Tool Sample is developed in Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) in Visual C# using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. The sample demonstrates how to read and analyze the Reporting Services trace logs and the Report Server execution log data. The sample does the following:
- Trace logs record report execution activity and the environment variables that are in effect during report processing. Errors and exceptions are also entered into trace logs. The sample helps us identify the frequency of the errors and exceptions logged in the trace logs.
- Provide tips to fix any errors logged in Logfiles.
- Describe the ExecutionLog columns, with tips on how to interpret values.
- Interpret the ExecutionLog2.AdditionalInfo and some interesting pieces of information it provides.
- Provide tips to analyze ExecutionLog2 information.
- Provide tips to optimize reports.
You can download this tool from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fd9031c2-2261-41f2-bf8e-fa1a00021450
- Supported Operating Systems : Windows 7;Windows 7 Service Pack 1;Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1;Windows Vista Service Pack 1;Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Framework: .NET Framework 4.0
- Supported SQL Server versions: SQL Server 2005;SQL Server 2008;SQL Server 2008 R2
- Supported Architectures: 32-Bit (x86); 64-Bit (x64)
Using Reporting Services Diagnostic Tool Sample
After building the sample application, you can use the sample to view and analyze the Report Server Service Trace Log and Report Server Execution Log that is useful if you are debugging an application or investigating an issue or event.
Reporting services trace logs:
To analyze the trace logs of reporting services go to the Log Files tab.
Specify the path of the trace log files directly, or you can choose the path by clicking the ellipses button.
Select the date range from the dropdown. You can customize the date range for the log files to be analyzed.
In View Details drop-down list, you can select one of the Reporting Services Trace Log reports (Trace Log Histogram And Detail/Raw/Threads) mentioned above, as a mode for analyzing the trace logs.
You can also specify one of the Filters, as mentioned above, to filter the data to fit need and requirement.
Reporting services execution logs:
To analyze the execution logs of reporting services go to the Catalog tab.
Click Connect>> button. The Select Report Server Database dialog box opens.
Specify the version of the Report server catalog databases we want to connect.
Specify the SQL Server Instance name where the databases are hosted on. This will populate the list of databases.
Select the appropriate report server catalog database.
Click Connect. You are now connected to the specified report server catalog database on the specified server. By default, Reports Execution Summary report renders, and displays the data.
To view a different report, select the report from the Execution Log Reports drop down. To filter the data, click Show Filters checkbox, and select the appropriate filter.