If you keen on trying CRM 2015 and not willing to choose the upgrade path of CRM 2011-> CRM 2013 -> CRM 2015…. then you are not alone…
When you try to import the solution you will get an error saying the solution cannot be imported from CRM 2011…
Since the solution file is a mere XML, as a developer, I wanted to play around it..
This is what I did. I changes the customization.xml and updated the xml header like below.
<ImportExportXml version=”7.0.0000.4013″ SolutionPackageVersion=”7.0″ languagecode=”1044″ generatedBy=”CrmLive” xmlns:xsi=”http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance”>
generatedBy=”OnPremise” for MS Dynamics CRM On Premise
generatedBy=”CrmLive” for MS Dynamics CRM On Line
Sometimes it will not be possible to import your solution this way, due to breaking changes in the solution file. In those cases you could follow these steps:
- Import your solution in a clean CRM 2011 organization.
- (If needed) upgrade your CRM deployment to the most recent rollup update for CRM 2011.
- Upgrade your deployment to CRM 2013.
- Upgrade your CRM deployment to the most recent rollup update for CRM 2013.
- Upgrade your deployment to CRM 2015.
- Export your solution.
- Import your solution in your target CRM 2015 organization.
If the solution import does not complain about the validity of your solution, you should be safe to proceed. The import does its checks on the customization xml, so it can not damage your target organization.