Freebyte Zip is a reliable, powerful and freeware zip/unzip program for Windows 7, XP, Vista, 200x, NT, 9x, Linux/wine and all 64 bit editions of Windows. The program enables you to zip and unzip files, create zip archives, password protect files, view, sort and encrypt zip file contents, and also make self.extracting archives. This program is the direct successor to the reliable HJ-Zip program. The program is only 300 Kb in size, and does not require any installation.
Freeware for personal and corporate (business, government, non-profit, etc.) use.
* Easy to use
* No installation needed
* Open, create, change, protect, encrypt, sort and view zip files
* Powerful command-line/DOS interface (please see below)
* View or execute files directly from inside the zip archive
* Create self-extracting archives
* More features below
* Add and remove files directly to/from zip and self-extracting archives
* Extract files with or without path information
* Add files with relative or absolute path information, or without any path information.
* Recurse subdirectories (optional)
* Zip entries can be password protected and encrypted
* Specify the compression level when adding files
* File attributes and file dates are preserved during zip/unzip operations
* Easy shortcut keyboard commands for frequently used functions
* Progressbar display during file extraction and compression
* The compression and extraction process can be aborted
* Compression and extraction settings are saved between sessions
* Compression and extraction folders are saved between sessions
* Statusbar display of total size of zip-file in Kbytes
* Statusbar display of total number of items in zip-file
* Free for commercial and non-commercial use!
* Small in size
* Does not need to be installed
* etc. etc.
Powerful command-line options
If you want to use Freebyte zip as a command-line (DOS) program, e.g. as part of a bach process, these options are available:
fbzip.exe [options] <zipfilename> <list of absolute paths>
Please note that the list of absolute paths can contain a mix of file names, directories and wild-cards. If the zipfile does not exist, it will be created.
-e: extract files
-a: add files
-p: use path information when extracting files (create directories if necessary)
-p: store path information when adding files
-r: recurse subdirectories when adding files
You can download Freebyte Zip by using one of the links below. The program itself is contained inside the downloadable file FBZPack.exe. This is a self-extracting archive. You need to run it so it extracts the Freebyte Zip program files into the same directory. After that, just double click on fbzip.exe to run the Freebyte Zip program itself. Download file size: 307 Kb.
– fbzpack.exe (location 1)
– fbzpack.exe (location 2)
– fbzpack.exe (location 3)
To keep informed on new versions, you can join the Freebyte newsletter.
Software created by
Usage and distribution
You can use this program to create and distribute any number of zip files for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
You can include this program on Websites, DVD’s, etc. as long as you do not charge for the program itself. However, you can charge a nominal fee for distribution costs, materials, etc.